Causes of diseases and their Cure
As per Ayurveda, Health is a state of equilibrium of normal functions of doshas, Dhatus, Malas and Agni with delighted body, mind and soul. It means that when Dosh-Dhatu-Malas and Agni are in a constant state of functional equilibrium, then this state is called as Health. On the other hand, distortion of this particular equilibrium results into diseases. Unhealthy food habits and erratic lifestyle are believed to be the basic causes behind the disturbance of mechanism of maintaining the above said equilibrium i.e.health.
And the Treatment to set back the health is said, either with or without medication and application of specific rules of diet, lifestyle and mental status as described disease wise in ancient Ayurvedic treatise. Understanding our individual constitution and adopting a corresponding diet & lifestyle is one of the main ways of keeping good health.
Diseases, according to Ayurveda are caused by the imbalance in the three doshas. The predominance of a dosha in an individual’s constitution indicates his or her vulnerability to a particular disease. Diseases in Ayurveda are classified according to the origin of their causes.
- Diseases which originate from factors within the human body, including psychosomatic diseases, are called Adhyatmika. Adhyatmika diseases are further divided into hereditary diseases, congenital diseases and those caused by the aggravation of the doshas.
- Adhibhautika diseases are those whose origin can be traced to external physical factors such as germs and accidents.
- Adhidaiveka diseases are caused by the seasons, planetary influential, providential causes and so forth.
The physician diagnoses a disease in an individual by an examination of the patient based on three general methods. These methods are common to understanding any phenomenon in the universe.
Understanding the cause of disease is profound and yet simple. If we can understand the cause of disease then we can begin the process of planning of its suitable treatment.
In Ayurvedic System of medicine, treatment of a disease does not mean suppressing or treating the prominent symptoms and creating some new ones as side effects of the main treatment. It is to completely root off the cause and give permanent relief.
There are four main classifications of management of disease in Ayurveda
- Shodan – Cleansing therapies i.e. Panchkarma
- Shaman – Palliation treatment with oral and external medications
- Rasayana – Rejuvenation by oral medication after the Panchkarma
- Satvajaya – Mental dosha equilibrium, Makes mind strong and spritual
The treatment mainly comprises of powders, tablets, decoctions, medicated oils, pastes etc. prepared from natural herbs, plants and minerals. Because the medicines are from natural sources and not synthetic, they are accepted and assimilated in the body without creating any side effects and on the other hand, there may be some side benefits. Along with medicine, proper diet, exercise and lifestyle is also advised. This is equally important. If we are taking a medicine to remove the root cause and at the same time we are taking same food or following a life style which is increasing the cause of disease, then we may not get well. In Ayurveda PanchKarma can be very safely used to promote good health, prevent diseases and acquire longevity.